When you hire a maid service, it is essential to understand what primary housekeeping duties you can expect. Figuring out the role of your housekeeper can be more tricky than you might think. House cleaning means different things to different people. Here are cleaning tasks that are reasonable to expect from any cleaning service.
Basic House Cleaning Service
Routine or basic housekeeping service is usually done on a recurring basis, such as every week. This helps maintain a reasonable level of cleanliness in a home. Here is a room-by-room breakdown of what to expect with a basic cleaning service.
- Clean the countertop
- Wipe down the outside of cabinets
- Clean inside and outside of microwave oven
- Clean the stove top
- Remove trash
- Sweep and mop the floor
- Scrub and polish the sink
- Mop the floor — if hardwood, or vacuum — if carpet
- Wipe the window sills and blinds
- Dust furniture and picture frames
- Remove cobwebs
- Empty trash
- Dust baseboards and air vents
- Vacuum or mop the floor
- Make beds
- Dust blinds and furniture
- Clean mirrors
- Dust ceiling fans and picture frames
- Scrub bathtub and toilet
- Clean light fixtures and mirrors
- Scrub sink
- Wipe down towel bar, toilet paper holder and bathroom accessories
- Clean window sill
- Remove trash
Deep Cleaning Service
A deep cleaning is different than a basic house cleaning service. This type of cleaning is done once or twice a year. A deep cleaning targets set-in dirt and grime. Many housekeeping companies require a deep cleaning for the first service. This type of cleaning is usually customized to your home. The company typically conducts a thorough walk-through and recommends specific tasks based on your needs.
This information is only a guideline. Every housekeeping service is different and provides varying levels of service. It is best to talk with your service provider and go over the contract in full before the first cleaning so that you know what to expect. This will help ensure that you have a positive experience.