One of the recent trends in home decor is to create a gallery wall. The most common way to make a gallery wall is to hang a variety of framed pictures in a random pattern from close to the top to close to the bottom of a wall. You can also install decorative molding or shelves on a wall and then place various-sized framed pictures on them. Either way, this is a dynamic way to remember events and people. Part of the gallery-wall idea is that instead of just lining up pictures on your wall, you can mix up the sizes and arrange the pictures haphazardly to create an eye-catching effect.
You might love this idea, so let’s discuss the pros and cons of a gallery wall.
- A fun project that anyone can do
- Creates a beautiful and eye-catching display
- Doesn’t take a lot of measuring
- Allows you to easily switch out pictures
- Trendy and works well with almost any decor
- Allows you to view and remember special moments every day
- Is a conversation starter when you entertain
- Makes friends and relatives feel loved when they see themselves on the wall
- Is easy to clean
- Initially, you have to buy frames, have pictures printed and possibly add shelving
- You’ll have to hire a decorator to hang them
- You may not have enough wall space
- You may not want people seeing your pictures because they’re private
The cons aren’t too severe, and you can circumvent them. Framing these pieces can be a lot of fun to do yourself, but if you don’t have the time, hire a decorator to help. Shelving can be pre-cut lengths of molding, or you can have custom shelves made. The gallery wall doesn’t have to be large; you can customize it for your space. If your pictures are private, then create your gallery wall in your bedroom or bathroom. And it’s easy to keep the display clean with eco-friendly products that are safe for you, your family and your pets.